Learn About the Local Dive Environment
Travel with Aquatic Adventures and change the way you see coral reefs forever in the PADI AWARE – Fish Identification Specialty course. Learn to identify common fish families and local fish species. Practice scientific surveying techniques and discover how you can get involved in reef conservation.
Have you ever wondered what type of fish you are looking at underwater? Or perhaps you have had to ask the local divemaster or scuba instructor what type of fish you saw on your dive. If you want to get better at fish identification and have an interest in how fish surveys are conducted, the PADI AWARE – Fish Identification course is a great way to get started. In the Fish Identification Specialty course, you will become more knowledgeable about fish families and get to perform a fish survey under the supervision of your PADI instructor.
What the Course Covers
In the PADI AWARE – Fish Identification Specialty course you will learn to recognize what types of fish you are seeing, and you will develop the ability to reference the exact species you see.
During your training, you will do 2 open water dives in a tropical, ocean reef location. You will learn:
- The Project AWARE philosophy about protecting worldwide aquatic ecosystems
- Fish family groupings and common characteristics of fish species found in the local area
- Fish surveying techniques and strategies for collecting valid data
- The planning, organization, and procedures for identifying fish families and species while diving
Expand your understanding and appreciation of coral reefs and fish populations. Book a spot in the PADI AWARE – Fish Identification class today!
What’s Included in the Course Fee
Our course fee includes the following:
- One classroom session
- Two open water dives
- PADI Specialty certification fee
What’s Not Included
- We do not include the following dive equipment. You will need to own a fish slate appropriate for this course and your diving environment. If you do not own the necessary dive equipment you can purchase it at Aquatic Adventures.
- We do not include course DVDs. Most PADI specialties require you to view a video. Check with one of our training consultants by calling (262) 938-6827 to find out if this course requires you to view a DVD. If so, you can elect to purchase a DVD from Aquatic Adventures or come to the store to watch the video prior to your classroom session or open water dives.
- We do not include personal gear (mask, snorkel, boots, and fins) as you should have purchased these items during your Open Water Diver course. There is a student discount on purchasing these items when you buy from Aquatic Adventures if you do not own them. See our How to Purchase Mask, Snorkel, Fins page for more information or calls us at (262) 938-6827.
- We do not include basic life support equipment. If you do not own your own wetsuit or dry suit, regulator, or BCD, we do provide a discounted student rate for you to rent these items. Ask your training consultant at the time of registration what these rates will be. Standard rental rates can be found on this website on our Rent Scuba Equipment page.
- We do not include entrance fees to dive sites or travel fees to dive destinations. See our Trips and Charters page for a list of upcoming travel destinations.
For more information on the benefits of taking PADI Specialty courses, see Frequently Asked Questions About Continuing Diver Education.
Dates for upcoming classes are provided below. If these dates do not work, select the 01 JAN class. Someone from our staff will call you to arrange another date. Customized schedules can be arranged for an additional fee.